This is an Ohio Gun Owners ACTION ALERT for the entire state of Ohio.
The Ohio Supreme Court is proposing a judicial rules change that would fundamentally alter the Second Amendment by stripping the legislative branch of its power to protect due process and instead instituting judicial gun-confiscation by decree.
The public comment period ends Friday, which means gun owners like you and me from across Ohio need to THUNDER our opposition – and quickly!
Please read this email and take IMMEDIATE action below!
The Ohio Supreme Court proposed “Rules of Superintendence” rule change for Ohio courts would:
- Disarm and force those subject to a civil protection order to surrender firearms, ammunition, and concealed handgun license to law enforcement; and
- Remove the requirement for evidence that a firearm was threatened to be used, used, or brandished before ordering firearms removed; and
- Empower the courts to seize Concealed Handgun Licenses – a power that ONLY Ohio Sheriffs possess; and
- Erase entirely the procedure for someone to go about getting their firearms back; and
- Allow law-enforcement to destroy or “dispose” of confiscated firearms upon expiration of a civil protection order WITHOUT giving them back to the owner; and
- Create a firearms database of anyone named as a respondent in a civil protection order; and
- DESTROY the constitutional authority of the Ohio General Assembly to protect due process or create boundaries for the judicial branch; and
- Elevate the Ohio Supreme Court to the highest, most powerful branch of government in Ohio.
Please note that there are several kinds of protection orders: Domestic Violence Temporary Protection Orders, Criminal Protection Orders, Civil Protection Orders and Civil Stalking or Sexually Orientated Offense Protection Orders.
A civil protection order (CPO) does NOT always mean that firearms rights are forfeit and can often be as simple as a court ordering a spouse to get marital counseling.
Or a CPO can be as simple as a court ordering a spouse to allow the other spouse to continue using the family minivan until a divorce is settled.
Ohio courts have historically been in compliance with the rules set forward by our General Assembly and required that in cases of CPO’s where confiscation of firearms is sought that there be sufficient “nexus” or evidence that a firearm was used or threatened to be used before a person is ordered to surrender their 2A rights.
This rules change destroys the need for evidence entirely, allowing even for an accusation to be made by someone after their first date to have someone’s guns taken away from them.
In other words, this is John Kasich’s Red-Flags ex-parte gun confiscation on STEROIDS, via judicial decree.
The public comment period for this withering attack on our 2nd Amendment freedoms ends this Friday – so you must act quickly!
Please make sure to fill in your information at the bottom of the email.
If the link above isn’t compatible with your email browser, please copy and paste the email address, subject line and message body provided below into your own email software and send it that way.
Don’t wait – act NOW, and then forward this email to all of your friends and ask them to do likewise!
Chris Dorr, Director
Ohio Gun Owners.
P.S. If the pre-written link above doesn’t work with your email browser, please copy and paste the info below into your own email software!
(Please remember to personalize your email by filling in your contact info at the bottom of the email)
OPPOSE and RETRACT the proposed “Rules for Superintendence”
Dear Supreme Court of Ohio and Diana Ramos-Reardon,
The proposed “Rules of Superintendence” rule change for Ohio courts is an unconstitutional attack on the Constitutional Rights of Ohioans.
These proposed changes set up a registration scheme, would pave the way towards firearms confiscation by judicial decree, and undermine our 2nd and 5th Amendment rights as Americans.
What’s more, this is an embarrassing politicization of Ohio’s courts to advance an agenda that seeks to undermine the fabric of American jurisprudence.
Due-process and equality under the law is a legal principle that makes America the envy of the world – but this rules change destroys that.
I take my constitutional freedoms seriously, and to have those freedoms undermined by the very courts that are supposed to protect those rights is insulting.
Please vote against adopting this rules change.
City, State Zip
|Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.|