Yesterday at 10:00am, turncoat Governor Mike DeWine and now-shameful Lieutenant Governor Jon Husted held another press conference in which they announced to the media (it was a “media-ONLY event”) their plan to pass more laws in the wake of the Dayton, OH murders in early August.
This round of new laws is designed to massively expand Ohio’s data flow into the Federal Gun Owner Database known as the NICS system.
Dubbing it “enhanced background checks” and categorizing it as part of his “Strong Ohio” package of proposed new gun-control laws, Gov DeWine and Lt Gov Husted are pretending that violent killers will submit to background checks before they go on their killing sprees.
- Nevermind that states like Illinois have had these same “enhanced background checks” since 2013, and Chicago still looks like a war zone every summer weekend.
- Nevermind that the Virginia Tech, both Fort Hoods, the San Bernardino, the Tuscon, the Aurora movie theater, the DC Navy Yard, the Las Vegas, the Orlando, the Sandy Hook, the El Paso, the Parkland and the Chattanooga murderers all passed their background checks before going on to murder their victims.
- Nevermind that the Dayton killer passed his background checks, too, and was loaded up on cocaine, alcohol and Xanax – this new proposal would NOT have stopped him.
Husted and DeWine could pass a million new gun-control laws through our General Assembly and not a single one of them could ever apply to a violent criminal because criminals DON’T obey the law!
You and I already know that, but here is the dirty secret…. DeWine, Husted, the special-interest media and the gun-control organizations pushing these “common sense reforms” ALL KNOW IT TOO.
So why are they so focused on building an enhanced database that tracks, traces and registers us gun owners like we are sex offenders?
All we have to do is look at Connecticut.
After the Sandy Hook murders in December of 2012, the Connecticut legislature passed a law in 2013 that outlawed the buying or selling of the same sporting “assault rifles” that hundreds of thousands of Ohioans own, like AR15’s.
The legislature made it illegal in April of 2013 to buy or sell an “assault weapon” and anyone who already owned one was required to turn themselves in to the state police office for registration by December 31, 2013 if they wanted to keep them.
The penalty for gun owners who didn’t come in and register their legally purchased firearms was (and still IS) a Class D felony, punishable by a 5-year prison term!
The problem for the Connecticut legislature is that they forgot that resistance to tyranny is an AMERICAN tradition, and a mere 49,000 applications for registry were received.
By most liberal media estimates, over 100,000 law-abiding Connecticut gun owners refused to register as many as 350,000 “assault weapons!”
The liberal media and gun-control advocates in Connecticut went apoplectic, demanding enforcement of the law.
But the question is, how did they arrive at that number? How do they know who has what guns?
This is where the nefarious NICS database comes into play.
You see, DeWine and his willing cohorts want you to believe that the NICS database is just a list of prohibited persons, people disqualified under state or federal law from owning firearms.
It is anything but, and the freedom-hating liberal left knows it.
That’s why the Harford Courant, the state’s largest newspaper and the oldest continuous running newspaper in America, published an editorial by their editorial board calling for the database to be put to work for its intended purpose:
“the bottom line is that the state must try to enforce the law. Authorities should use the background check database as a way to find assault weapon purchasers who might not have registered those guns in compliance with the new law.”
They went on encourage state police to use the background check database to either prosecute for felony convictions or outright confiscate the firearms people refused to register, and to revoke the pistol permits of anyone who had refused registration as well!
Site, don’t get me wrong here. I don’t want violent felons to get access to guns. Just like nobody wants the thugs and killers on the streets of Chicago to get their hands on guns or knives or cars or baseball bats or hammers, either.
But far more dangerous than criminals with guns are disarmed citizens living under a tyrannical government:
- Turkey established gun-control in 1911. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians were exterminated in the Armenian Genocide.
- The Soviet Union established gun-control in 1929. Between 1929-1953, nearly 20 million dissidents were exterminated.
- China established gun-control in 1935. Between 1948-1952, 20 million political dissidents were exterminated.
- Guatamala established gun-control in 1964. Between 1964-1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians were rounded up and exterminated.
- Uganda established gun-control in 1970. Between 1971-1979, 300,000 Christians rounded up and exterminated.
- Cambodia established gun-control in 1956. Between 1975-1977, 1 million educated people were rounded up and exterminated.
You see, governments kill more innocent people than anyone else.
That’s why Ohio Gun Owners is militantly opposed to any new effort to expand or increase the amount of data flowing from the state of Ohio into the centralized computers of the Federal Gun Owner Database known as NICS.
NICS is incapable of achieving its stated goal: it has never stopped a mass killing. It never will. Only the law-abiding follow the law.
NICS is a centralized database of gun owners that can and will be used against gun owners at some point down the road, and that is why you see America-hating politicians like Dianne Feinstin and Chuck Schumer voting to “enhance” this garbage at the Federal level.
We knew this day would arrive. It was only a question of when.
The good news is, this proposal will have to go through our General Assembly.
And that is where Ohio Gun Owners is going to focus our efforts to stop this assault.
The only thing that can stop DeWine’s corrupt agenda is you.
The only force strong enough to save our gun rights is us, the tens of thousands of members and supporters that compose Ohio Gun Owners, all standing side by side to fight back.
But please also do one more thing after you’ve done that.
Chris Dorr, Director
Ohio Gun Owners